Monday, September 15, 2008

A Great Place




About five years ago Steve and I started volunteering as Youth Leaders an hour away from the apartment we were renting. Things progressed and eventually Steve was offered the job as a full time position. We were thrilled, and we started looking for a home to buy. I grew up on a beautiful grain farm in the country, and after high school I went off to a Christian college nestled beside a peaceful lake and populated by more majestic oaks than there were students. Not surprisingly, I thought our first home had to be in the country. That was all I had ever known, and that is what I had set my mind upon. I remember numerous heated conversations about what each of us thought our home should be like (and where it should be). After months of searching and prayer, we were blessed with the chance to buy a wonderful home in our price range. It was in town. By that time, my mentality had mellowed a little, partially because we were having a hard time finding something, and I was just thankful for any place to move into! After a little while, my heart began to soften even more, and I can honestly say now that I love our home and its location! To start with, we got an amazing deal (no down payment, and we never pay interest!!). Also, because of the location near to the church, Steve is often able to come home for lunch. We are on a street that isn't too busy, and just two houses down, the road comes to a dead end, followed by a pond, fields, and trees. We even have had the opportunity to enjoy critters who make their home near the pond. Every spring painted turtles walk across our driveway to lay their eggs, we have seen deer grazing in the field behind the pond, and we have picked wildflowers beside the water on several occasions. I am so thankful for the wonderful place God has given us - it has been the best of both worlds for our family. (Maybe I don't always know best!!)
(The photos are taken at the end of the dead end road. Neat view, huh?) :)

No comments: