Friday, March 6, 2009

Day #2

Experiencing His Presence in the Pews


I slid my hand along the smooth, worn wood of the pew as I took a seat next to my little brother. My dad sat on his other side, and my mom and baby sister slipped in behind me. As the rest of the congregation also found their seats, our pastor walked to the front of the sanctuary. My short legs silently swung back and forth as I listened to the pastor welcome everyone to church. It was a little Lutheran church in a town with a population of 103. The church was small and the thin carpet was old, as was much of the congregation.

As the pastor motioned, the congregation stood to sing the first hymn. With anticipation, I waited for the organist to begin. The selection was entitled, "Holy, Holy, Holy" and when the music started I chimed in what words I remembered.

It was during that song at about the age of 5 that I experienced it for the first time. Voices around me were raised in worship and I joined them with all my might. Something in the atmosphere was different. The air around me felt light, yet full and close. My heart swelled with the same feelings. It was overwhelming and good. It's hard to describe to you unless you've felt it for yourself, but I know it was real and I have experienced it many times since. This was the first time I experienced the presence of God.


Continue to stop by here if you'd like to read about what happened after this!
Steve's first faith experience is coming up too!

No comments: