Thursday, April 23, 2009

40 Days of Faith, #13


The June sun felt hot upon my head as I mowed laps around my parents yard. I rolled my t-shirt sleeves up to my shoulders, hoping to avoid a farmer's tan. I was 14 and had just finished my eighth grade year. My mind was moving much faster than the John Deere lawn mower I rode upon. As I carefully steered around the clothesline I wondered for the hundredth time why he hadn't called yet. He had told me on the last day of school that he would be calling soon. That was about two weeks ago. Sweat glistened on my forehead. From the sun or my lament about the lack of phone call, I wasn't sure.

I prayed.

Lord, I know that I can't officially date until I am 16 anyway. Please turn my thoughts away from this young man if your plan doesn't include us being together. I do like him very much, but help me to be content with waiting if that is what you want me to do. I want your will.

I sighed. The words were painful but true. I had very high hopes that we could start getting to know each other better this summer, but I understood that this might not be God's plan. I knew that as hard as it would be to switch gears, I would have to let go of my desire and pursue the other things God had in store for me this summer. As I looked at the freshly cut grass, peace flooded my heart. It was a feeling that was starting to become familiar. I knew that I was going to be ok as long as I was continued to walk with God.

After supper that night I headed up to my room to look for a book to read. I heard the phone ring as I sat on my bed, pondering which novel to choose. Momentarily my mom carried the phone upstairs and handed it to me.

It was Steve.



We hope you are enjoying our 40 Days of Faith. Check our Archive list if you want to catch up on anything you missed, and please continue to stop by as we recount what happens next!


No comments: