Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day #7 The Character of a Man

(From Steve)

As I look back on my spiritual journey it is interesting to me the impact of Thursday release time. It was the 6th grade and I met a young pastor from the Assembly of God Church named Dan who volunteered to minister to a group of 6th grade boys. In fact, it was his idea to take all the boys...big mistake. We were a crazy bunch of young men, and I am not sure if Pastor Dan ever made it through a whole lesson.

I am not totally sure what we talked about every week, but as I look back, that time had a huge impact on me because of Pastor Dan. Even though I don't remember much of what he said I sure remember what kind of man he was. Here was a young guy who took time to be with us, was patient, kind, good to his wife and family, and loved Jesus. A guy who let Jesus permeate every part of his life; a man who read his Bible and then applied it to his life; a man of true character inside and outside of his church. Now that I am a pastor I often think of how Dan lived and try to emulate that.

I haven't seen Pastor Dan in over 10 years, but I looked him up the other day to thank him for making a difference in my life. Dan, if you are reading this, I want you to know that the way you live your life is a powerful sermon of what God can do in a person fully surrendered to Christ. Thank you.

No comments: