Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'll take a louder house, please!

I wrapped my dripping hair in a towel. Grabbing my slippers, I turned off the bathroom light and descended the stairs to join Steve in the living room.
Looking up from his book as I entered the room, Steve smiled. I could tell he wanted to ask me something.
"Not that it matters," he said, "but why don't you ever turn the fan on when you take a shower?"
I laughed, curious what he would think of my answer.
"It's just kind of loud..." I replied, "and after taking care of a two year old and a baby all day, I just really want to take a shower in as much peace and quiet as I can."
Chuckling, Steve responded, "Aahh. That makes sense."

It was true. Two years ago, when I was beginning to experience what life was like as a stay-at-home mother of a strong-willed toddler and a very sensitive baby, my days were filled with lots of noise. I showered with the vent turned off and I unplugged the phone when Haddie slept. I took advantage of any reduction in sound that I could. I even kept the radio turned off pretty much all day long.

Things have changed. Seth is now four and Haddie is almost two. I think our home is filled with just as much noise, if not, even more.... but I let the radio play. I have had a revelation. I don't turn off the music in attempt to keep my sanity on tough days anymore. Now I crank it up. I have realized how much music can be comforting and healing to my soul. Not just any music of course. I choose only albums or radio stations with lyrics that will inspire me, as well as Seth and Haddie.

One album that has gotten lots of play time in our home is our "Glory Revealed" CD. It is a collection of songs taken straight out of the Word of God, sung by popular contemporary artists. No matter how frazzled or overwhelmed I may be feeling, the music and lyrics from this CD always renew my mind with peace and joy. When I can't sit down to read my Bible but desire the comfort and clarity it brings, this often my next choice!


Another one we enjoy (this includes Seth and Haddie!) is the Hillsong United, "Look to You" CD. When I am inclined to have a pity party about a messy house, too much laundry, a tired morning, or fussy kids, turning up the volume on this album always creates a change of heart within me. I love the way this group belts out their priority of telling the world about Jesus. I can't help but turn my focus from inward to outward as I listen to their music and words. You should see Seth and Haddie jam out to it too! They think it's great! (Seth plays a mean air-guitar, by the way!)
So, there it is. Peace and quiet I still value. There is still a time and place for it, pretty much every day, I whole-heartedly agree. But I have learned the value in a home blastin' with Christ-centered music. It is inspiring, encouraging and fun. Most of all, I love it because it reminds me about what is really important in life.
I'll take a louder house, please!

2 comments:

darci said...

hello! how fun that you stopped by my blog:) I love 'meeting' new people, especially ones in love with our God! I am such a crank-up-the-music type, too. We have three girls, and you will often (if you were a fly on the wall) see our entire family dancing (and we're really bad dancers) around the living room singing songs of praise at the top of our lungs. :) God bless and have a great day. darci

LS said...

I love the honesty you convey on your blog. It always makes me feel like someone out there who is a mom really understands the hard days and the investment it takes to be a mama. I know lots of my friends understand this, but you express it well without being negative. My husband asked me the exact same thing at our old apartment and I told him the same thing! Must be an overwhelmed mom thing! One time when Josiah's mom was visiting, little 3 year old Ali went into the bathroom while she was showering with the vent on. Ali sternly rebuked her and said, "Girls don't shower with the fan on. Only boys!" She had seen Daddy use the fan,but had never seen Mommy use it!