Tuesday, October 13, 2009

He's a keeper ;o)

Sunday night we arrived home from visiting The Farm. It had been a sad afternoon for me. We had decided that unless he showed some sudden and dramatic improvement, my sweet old gelding needed to be put to sleep some time this week. He has just been suffering too much with severe leg pain. So, we had made the trip down to see him so I could spend some time with him and say good-bye. (The sadness of putting down my horse cannot be compared with the tragedy of human suffering of course. Still, I felt weary and the lump in my throat lingered as we came home. It was a hard thing to say good-bye to my boy.)

As I was putting away our jackets, I heard the tub running. I was surprised that Steve would have decided to give the kids a bath, as they were very sleepy and ready for bed. I walked toward the bathroom and was met by Steve, who, much to my delight, said that he would put both kids to bed while I took a hot bath. Oh, what a perfect gift on such a night.

Then, yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending the day visiting with two dear friends I don't get to see very often. My handsome hubby stayed home with our kiddos so I could be out of the house for a while and enjoy some adult conversation. While visiting with Heather, I received a curious phone call from Steve, asking me to "not come home until about six that evening". A very unusual request, but I was happy to take a little extra time shopping by myself before heading home.

Once home, after parking the little Saturn, I walked through our gate to see this...


My thoughtful guy had brought Seth and Haddie down to his folks, bought groceries for supper, cleaned the house, dressed up, and was grilling (not burgers, but orange glazed salmon on cedar planks! Yum, it was so delicious!!)

Later that night, I asked why all the fuss. Steve replied that things have been so busy lately and we hadn't been able to spend a whole lot of time together, just enjoying each other's company without working on church things or whatever. "I just don't want you to feel like you are only getting my leftovers," he said. Aawwww. :o)
I'm so thankful for this man!
I'd say he's a keeper! ;o)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwwwww!
Wow, salmon on Cedar planks! He is a keeper... :)

Sorry about your horse, I can imagine what that feels like.
Hope you're doing okay! Love you Nat!

SamE said...

Tell Steve that all the men in our family will now be cursing him for setting such a high standard ;-)

Honey, we were very sorry to hear about Kikapoo (spelling?). I know how much you all loved him and how gentle and kind he's always been to anyone who came to see / ride him. You are in our prayers.

Love you!
~Sam (aka Buzzy)

darci said...

oh my!! what a sweet man! :) so sorry about your horse...it is so hard to say goodbye. darci

LS said...

Oh man, what a great guy!!!! It's so inspiring to see how he loves you and serves you! What a blessing!