Friday, January 30, 2009

Whew...what a day....

Good evening all (or good morning or afternoon),
Well, we've had an interesting few days. Nothing compared to the trials that some friends have had recently, but it's been exhausting for us none-the-less. In the midst of concern for our kiddos and the blur that comes from sleep depravity, I've been thankful for a lot of the little things (and some big things) I often take for granted...


The wee hours of Thursday morning, about 3:30 am
*Thankful for our little Evenflo monitor.
(Just went through perhaps the scariest few seconds I've had as a parent. Haddie became sick during the night. When she started crying she couldn't breath... it was awful. Finally she was ok again and I felt a small sense of security because I knew I would be able to hear her if she cried or coughed because we have a monitor in our bedroom.)


A couple hours later
*Thankful for large amounts of medical information at my fingertips in book form as well as on line and from a readily accessible phone nurse.
(Haddie was up crying and coughing again. After making her comfortable, Steve called the nurse while I looked up info on her symptoms.)


9:15 am
*Thankful for a vehicle and a wonderful, husband with a flexible schedule.
(Steve arranged his schedule so he could bring Seth to work - so I could bring Haddie in to the clinic. And he warmed up the van for us.) :)

9:45 am
*Thankful for good health insurance
(As I filled out registration slips for Haddie to see a doctor.)

11:00 am
*Thankful for advances in modern medicine
(Waited only about 10 minutes for the lab while they did a test to find out if Haddie had RSV.)

11:10 am
*Thankful for good results.
(She doesn't have RSV.)

11:25 am
*Thankful for a cell phone.
(In my haste to get Haddie in to the clinic, I left the van lights on and the battery died. I was able to call Steve so he could come and jump the van.)

11:35 am
*Thankful for store bought cookies we had left in the van.
(Steve brought Seth with and he was hungry. Normally I wouldn't have given him a cookie right before lunch, but under these circumstances, I did. I was thankful to be able to tide his hunger over till we could get home.)


12:00 pm
*Thankful for a warm home.
(We were all a little chilly after the whole van ordeal.)

12:05 pm
*Thankful for cable Television.
(While I'm not always a fan of of our kiddos watching TV, it was helpful to be able to find a good cartoon and allow our two disheveled and hungry children to watch it while I rounded up a quick meal.)

12:10 pm
*Thankful for chicken nuggets in the freezer.
(Sooo helpful to be able to throw them in the microwave so I could go back to taking care of the kids and not spend a long time in the kitchen.)



Throughout that night
*Thankful for little ones who typically sleep really well.
(Haddie was still feeling crummy and up nine times during the night.)

Right now.
*Thankful to God for healing
(Haddie is still not 100%, but she is doing a lot better.)


Lots of things to make us concerned and tired.
Even more things to be thankful for.

1 comment:

A Stafford said...

Hope Haddie is well on the road to recovery! We were sad to miss seeing you guys, but trust we will try again soon.

I hope both of you are caught up on sleep and ready for the next challenging day which, sad to say, inevitably will come.

Take care!