Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Got Spinach?

Yep, that's right. Spinach. Or kale will work too! :o)
Recently our family has been enjoying green smoothies! I have heard of the "hiding veggies" trick and we have tried it successfully for many types of meals... but I admit I was a bit surprised to find recipes that used spinach or kale as the main ingredient for smoothies!
I think these pictures will give you a good idea how we liked them!
Here's Seth showing off his green smoothie mustache (it was such a nice day we decided to bring the smoothies outside.)

The first time we made green smoothies, I actually put more blueberries in than necessary because I wasn't sure if my kids would balk at the idea of seeing green.
You can see here, however, that they have no problem with the color! ;o) (I guess the fact that my kids are quite young and still have very formitable minds works in my favor!)


Seth loves a good smoothie!

Haddie does too!

We're experimenting with lots of fruits, but we often use this recipe...

Beginner Blueberry Kale/Spinach Smoothie

1 large ripe banana, peeled
2-4 kale leaves (or sometimes we use a couple cups of baby spinach instead)
1 cup blueberries, frozen
1 cup pure water
Pour the water and toss the banana and kale into the blender. Blend. Then add the blueberries. Blend again until smooth. Enjoy! 1-2 servings


We found all of this and more on a great website of a neat gal we know. Do check it out here!!

2 comments:

Kami said...

Is it odd that I think these look delicious?! :) I love my greens, so I can only imagine that they are yummy! :)

My step-daughter, Claire, is sitting next to me right now. Her comment? "Spinach smoothies?! PLEASE tell me you're not making them for us!" Oh my :)

Your kids are adorable, by the way! Looks like you are finding a wonderful place in life :)

Unknown said...

Gabe's family is really into green smoothies too! We have them every morning for breakfast when we go over and they are so good!