Monday, October 20, 2008

Confessions of a Closet Rap Fan


As the crowd of youth filtered through the auditorium doors, I walked with them, my feet aching a bit inside my heeled boots. The "Big Room" session had just ended and the students had some free time. Teens flocked to the volleyball nets, paintball arena, and the concessions. Thirsty, I followed the high schoolers who were heading to get refreshments. On the way, I bumped into my husband chatting with a married couple we recently met. A regional youth rally had brought us here, to a local high school. The four of us, along with many other adults, were chaperones for the weekend. It had been a few years since I had been able to help out in this way, and I was excited to take part again.

"Hey Nat!", Steve welcomed me to the conversation. "We saw you up there by the stage with your fist in the air and your knees boppin," he said with a smile. Immediately I felt heat rise in my cheeks.

Chuckling, the man standing beside Steve added, "You get into that rap music, don't you?"

"Well, no..." I replied, "It's not that I'm fond of the music...I did that because I just think that it makes the girls standing up there beside me feel more comfortable, more free to get into the music and enjoy themselves." It was true. That was the reason I had pushed aside my self-consciousness and mild embarrassment. I really wanted the youth to have open hearts and minds for what the speakers and musicians had to say. I wanted them to be stretched and to grow in their faith this weekend. Hopefully, setting aside their own self-consciousness and caring less about what others thought about them would help, I thought.

The conversation turned to other topics and after a little while I excused myself to find the water I was seeking.

The following evening I entered the auditorium with our youth group. Typical format for the each "Big Room" session had been that musicians took the stage for worship and rap sessions first, followed by a speaker. This evening was no different, and as the fog machine began to give the auditorium a concert-like feel, many of the youth and adults gathered around the stage. I did as well, this time donned with my comfy tennis shoes instead of heels.

On his cue, the Christian Rap artist walked onstage to the sound of a cheering audience, their arms raised in the air. They were ready. Beats began in the background while arms and knees started bobbing. The music artist rapped about a life of following Jesus while the teens listened and moved to the beat.

I smiled to myself. They were having fun. And the music sounded good. Maybe rap wasn't so bad. Maybe I even liked it a little bit. Hmm, maybe it wasn't only for the youth that I raised my arm and bobbed along with them.

I think I must confess...after this past weekend, I think I like rap....just a little bit. :)

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Nat you can be a closet ghetto rap lover along with me! I am so proud!
love you!
Rach

LS said...

I have to say I like it sometimes too provided it's got a good message! But I couldn't listen to it all of the time or I'd go insane!

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog about raising kids. Maybe we should arrange a marriage and then stand back and watch the fireworks! =)

Faith Hope Love Photography said...

Wish I could've been there to help you guys!! It sounded like a lot of fun. I too...am a closet jammer:)

Michelle Riggs said...

It sounds like a very fun evening. What a blessing for you and your children.

We would appreciate your prayers for our daughter.

http://www.riggsfamilyblog.com/

Lesley said...

This really made me laugh! I think Christian rap music can be really fun :)

Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I totally agree that there is nothing in the world that compares to hearing your child express their love for Jesus. It is awesome! I can teach my kids so many things but they all pale in comparison to them learning the love of their Saviour and wanting to live their lives for Him. I hope and pray that my kids continue to grow and love God always.

It would be fun to have a playdate sometime if we're ever in the same area. Hope you have a great weekend and God bless you and your lovely family too! :)