Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Needed: A Swiffer or Broom. A Collie or Some Chickens Work Well Also.


My mom's mom (referred to as "Granny") has told the story about how, when she was growing up in Ireland as a young child, the home she lived in had dirt floors. After meals, instead of sweeping up the crumbs dropped beside the table, her mother simply let in the chickens! They did a fine job cleaning up every little morsel, and when the floor was clean again, out they went!

Perhaps the inclination to do as my great-grandmother did is hereditary. ; ) With a three year old and a one year old (Haddie does contribute the most to food found on the floor) I find myself needing a broom at least twice a day, often more. Our collie Meshach has proven that he can out-sweep me, so I have happily turned some of the floor cleaning duties over to him! Although Meesh does not have full run of the house, he is used to the drill now (and by the time most meals are over he can be found standing at the entry to the kitchen, waiting for me to tell him to come in and enjoy the ruins!)

3 comments:

Faith Hope Love Photography said...

Love It!

Unknown said...

I understand, my floor has never been as clean since we had our dog Max. Now our cat could care less.
Love you guys!!!
(Thanks for the book, I started it right away, and I love it!! I also secretly ate a couple of chocolates as well)
-Jen

Rachael said...

I need a puppy, I am so sick of sweeping every four minutes and looking down to see another cherrio on the floor. Our cat is too lazy or just not interested.