Thursday, November 20, 2008

Implementing a Friend's Good Idea

I happen to be a pack rat. It is a habit I am working on. ;o) However, about a year ago my pack rat tendencies actually paid off a bit. I had been in the habit of saving all the cards we have received since we were married five and a half years ago (ok... I guess that sounds a little extreme! I'm getting better!). Anyway, last year I came across a fun idea that a friend had shared. She wrote about how, after Christmas season, a person could take all their Christmas cards and put them in a basket. Then, the person could periodically pull out a card and pray for whoever happened to be on the card. I liked the idea a lot, but with four extra hands around my house (that means 40 sticky fingers) I figured a basket just wouldn't do for our family. Soooo, I gathered up Christmas cards (and graduation invites) from the last two years (I wasn't up for the task of going any further than that! Hehe!), and put them in a large photo album. I put the album on a wooden tray on our dining room table, along with a children's Bible story book and a nice violet from Granny! Several times a week we read to Seth and Haddie at the table before they get down after meals, and then after story time we pull out the photo album (known fondly as the "prayer book" by Seth.) We've enjoyed this so far. It's a fun way to remember to pray for all the special people in our life!
So, if you've sent a Christmas card in the last couple years, or if you send one in the future, you'll be in our book! :o)

No comments: