Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hot Soup for Cold Days

Recently I made this soup for a pastor's wives gathering and someone asked for the recipe, so I thought I'd share it here.
My friend Kelly originally gave me the recipe and I loved it as soon as I tried it (Any other Olive Garden fans out there? I really like Olive Garden's Italian soup, "Zupa Tuscana," and I think this recipe tastes a lot like it. Just leave out the tomatoes if you want the soup as close to O.G. as possible....although it's great with the tomatoes too!) : )

Italian soup
1 onion (The first time I made it, I used a frozen mixture of red, yellow and green peppers and onion. About one large cup total. This worked well too.)
2 cloves garlic, or the equivalent in dried minced garlic
1 1/2 - 2 large boxes chicken broth (I like the taste of powdered chicken bouillon, so that's what I hand on hand and used, mixed with water to make chicken broth)
1 lb. mild Italian sausage, browned
3 medium potatoes, diced or sliced with skin on
1 can tomatoes, or chopped fresh tomatoes
2 tsp. thyme
fresh spinach, arugula, or frozen or dried spinach
Parmesan cheese
*Saute onion and garlic in olive oil, add broth, sausage, potatoes, tomatoes, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add spinach or arugula just before serving. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Our Home to Yours said...

Hi Natalie!
I LOVE this soup, and make it a few times a year.. it is sooo good! Thought you might be interested to know, it is actually kale that is in the OG soup instead of arugula. Do they have white beans in their recipe too? I think they might.. well no matter.. all of these ideas would taste great!

Mara LaTourelle said...

Looks delicious, Natalie. I'm definitely going to try it out. This colder weather is bringing on cravings for soup.
-Mara

Lesley said...

Yum!! This sounds great - I love making soups!
By the way, Aubrie just got a major haircut so I won't be having any brushing battles with her for awhile :)